Friday, April 15, 2011

How do you explain...

This morning I was at UNO for Global Youth Service Day (which really has nothing to do with actual service, oddly). I was there to give information about refugees. It got off to a really slow start, but then all of a sudden there were waves and waves of students coming by and I was talking and talking and talking about refugees over and over and over again. I rode the energy until it slowed down, then I crashed, and I was in a bad mood. For whatever reason, it just drained me.

The kids were pretty cute. They asked a lot of funny questions, one was, "Are the refugees like the people in Avatar?" There were some good questions about Mexican immigrants, too. When I explained about how the Burmese military doesn't like the Karen people and is trying to kill them, I got a lot of questions to the effect of "Why does the Burmese military hate the Karen people?" And I was at a complete loss of what to say. I made a few comments about how the Karen were different, and Burma government was afraid of them because of that, and that we should all try not to hate each other, but it felt a little flat to me. Why do people hate each other? I don't know.

I worked until 2:15, and then I bolted. That was about the soonest I could get out of there. I was very exhausted, especially since I logged 12.25 hours yesterday working. Yes, I love my job. Yes, what I did today I consider extremely important and rewarding, but it wore me out. Since I got out of work, though, I've had lots of time to relax and I feel much better and I'm looking forward to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment